Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Being an Art Juror

Margaret Godfrey

The Honor of Being an Art Juror

This past weekend I was in Portland jurying the Spring Show at the Oregon Society of Artists. I am  always honored to be asked. It indicates that someone thinks pretty highly of my opinion and skills in judging fine art. (You should see the piles of books on art I own!) But aside from the honor is the responsibility to go into a show and look for paintings that not only "speak" to me, but also exhibit use of good technique, an understanding of strong composition and design elements, and have a professional presentation.

I enjoyed the opportunity to see so many great paintings and connect with good artists. It was not an easy task to pick only 7 award winners from this outstanding exhibit of art. I also send a big thank you to the OSA Board and the show coordinators who made my work as easy as possible. They put on a fabulous reception where I was able to talk about art in general and my award choices.

I will be teaching a workshop at the same venue, OSA,  in May.

Margaret Godfrey: "Adding Content to Your Art Mixed Media"
Thursday - Sunday May 3 - 6, 2017
$395 four days Limit 20 students
http://margaretgodfreyart.com/
call OSA to register: (503) 228-0706  (503) 228-0706

Over the years of selling my work, I have become serious about the importance of presentation. It is the artist's job to insure that the framing shows off the artwork. If I am asking someone to buy my work, I have a responsibility to mat and/or frame it in a way that makes the buyer see the care and pride I have in my art. A mat should be clean and sharply cut with a good 3 or more inches around the painting. A frame should enhance the work, not overwhelm it. If an artist reuses mats and frames (which I do) they should be retired when they show wear and tear. If a painting is on canvas and the sides are in view, they should be carefully painted, stained or finished in a careful manner.

Oregon Society of Artists
2185 SW Park Place

Portland, Oregon  97201
503-228-0706
www.OregonSocietyOfArtists.com


No comments: